Pages

Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Vamonos Para Mexico!"

"Vamonos para Mexico, vamonos para Mexico! Vamonos, vamonos, vamonos para MEXICO!" This is a song that Beto and I made up when we first got married and were getting ready to visit his family in Monterrey, Mexico. It simply means; "Let's go to Mexico!"
We have always gotten so excited when it was time to go to Monterrey; which we tried to do about twice a year. The very fist time I ever went to Mexico was on a mission trip and I knew that one day that I would love to experience living in Mexico.
Beto and I have talked about moving to Monterrey for years and it seems the opportunity has finally arrived.
I know, I know, most of you are thinking to yourself, "Why in the world would you move to Mexico?! Aren't they kidnapping everyone and chopping off their heads?"

So here are just a few of our reasons:

1) We want to kids to learn Spanish and experience a different culture.
2) I want to be able to speak Spanish.
3) We want the kids to know and love Beto's family.
4) I want to learn how to cook some of those yummy Mexican dishes.
5) We desire to experience a simpler way of life.
6) We want to get involved with a church there and hope to be a shinning light to his family.

I'm sure everyone has heard the horror stories that are happening in Mexico. And unfortunately they are true for some areas in Mexico and even in some areas of Monterrey. But isn't this the case everywhere? There are areas in Laurel that you wouldn't want to chance after dark but that doesn't mean that we are scared to live in Laurel. There are areas in New Orleans that we know is not a good place to be but we all love to go to New Orleans. Violence is everywhere and we have to choose not to live in fear. The good news is that we aren't going to an area that is high risk.
So, in the middle of March we are packing our van with as much stuff as we can fit in it and starting a new chapter in our lives. I know that I will get extremely homesick because I am a mamma's girl and Laurel is all I have ever known. So, I have promised Beto that we will stay in Monterrey for a year. If I didn't make that promise we would be headed back after a month, maybe sooner.
My goal is to keep up this blog as we experience life in Mexico and share with you this adventure.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe Cheryl and I could come and visit you and eat some of that great food! Will be praying that you will be a great instrument of the Lord to proclaim His message of salvation to those you are going to be connected to in your new and exciting life. Reminded my of William Carey's logo "Attempt great things for God and expect great things from God" Francisco Maqueda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francisco, we would love for you and Cheryl to visit. We would take you around all the wonderful things to see and do in Monterrey. And of course feed you like they do when you go home to Spain. We would also put you to work! Beto's mom bought a new little house. Over there new construction does not include a kitchen nor flooring. It takes most Mexicans a couple of years before they even get to move in because of having to save for those things. We would like to get her into her house before we leave to come back to the US. So we could definately use you and Cheryl. Start planning a mini vacation/mission trip. Maybe you can talk mama into coming with you all. Thanks for the encouraging words! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, Just do exactly what Isaac told me you were going to do! His exact words "We will go for a minute and will be right back in a minute!". I love my Isaac and Sofia, - and my Beto and Kandace. Don't EVER forget that! Mama

    ReplyDelete