Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Week One is a Success

It is hard to believe that we have already been here for a week. We usually stay around ten days when we come to visit so it still feels as though we are on vacation. Beto has been working very hard to make his mom's house feel like home for us. He painted our room, installed a closet, and bought a new bunk bed. The room we stay in is small but we have it set up in a very functional way. Beto and I sleep on the bottom bunk which is larger than the top and Isaac sleeps on top. Sofia sleeps in her "pack n' play" bed and all our clothes fit nicely in the closet that Beto installed. Since we only sleep in there the close quarters have not bothered me.
Other than getting all of our stuff settled we haven't really don't much more than eat. The food here is amazing. Although they do have grocery stores here most people only buy what they need each day from a neighborhood store or the market. So everything is so fresh. I am trying to learn how to cook by observing and hopefully soon I will be comfortable enough to try hands on. I was hoping that by the time I came back to the USA that I would be slim and fit since we walk everywhere we need to go. I am afraid that will not be the case because these wonderful homemade tortillas can not be good for me.
The weather is quickly getting hotter, but so far it is not too bad. During the day it gets around 85 degrees and at night it cools off and feels quiet pleasant. They do not have central heat and air here but there are a couple of window units in the house. Thankfully our room has one, but we have not needed it. There is also no hot water. I am not one for cold showers so I boil water on the stove and take a "bucket shower." That is what I do for the kids too and Sofia loves it. She fits in the bucket and plays. Isaac enjoys it too. He says, "I have never had a bath like this before."
My Spanish hasn't improved all that much this past week but hopefully soon. Isaac is really wanting to learn, and he is constantly asking "how do you say this in Spanish?" I think he will catch on very quickly.
We are all trying to get the the relaxed routine. Sometimes we catch ourselves rushing for no reason just because we always rushed in the States. Here, I never know the time and forget what day it is. Mexicans are only on time for work and everything else is just whenever they decide to go.
I think I could get use to this…




Bath Time


Isaac and Jordan coloring


Isaac watching Beto's mom make tortillas



Isaac rolling out a tortila

2 comments:

  1. Teresawilsonchancellor@yahoo.comMarch 18, 2011 at 6:47 PM

    This makes me smile :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. such sweet pics...i love keeping up with ya'll! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete