Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

We're Here...


After a very stormy night and morning we left Laurel, Mississippi around eight o'clock on Wednesday morning. I didn't shed one tear while hugging my very upset mother. I think that I am still in denial that I will be in Mexico for a whole year. It feels like we are going on a short vacation. It will hit me in about two weeks and I will be more than just shedding a few tears. My next blog title may be called "I Want my Mommy!"
We stopped in San Antonio Wednesday night and went to Sea World on Thursday. Everyone loved Sea World. I got to pet a dolphin for first time and ride on a huge roller coaster. I used to be in love with riding roller coasters but since I have gotten married and had kids the thought of riding one would make me very nervous. I faced my fears and enjoyed it once I got over the shock. It was a very memorable day for us all.
Friday morning we took our time getting around since we were only a couple of hours form the border. I always get nervous the closer that we get to border because you never know if it will be an easy or difficult process getting permission to cross. This time I double checked to make sure we had all the information that we needed to make the process as easy as possible. You need your passport, car title, a credit card, and license. If you plan on taking a vehicle across the border you have to get permission to do so. In order to do that you will need the title and it has to be in your name. You can not bring a car that does not have your name on the title and they are not lenient. Since we have crossed many times I knew the process and what to bring but it doesn't make it any less nerve wrecking. Thankfully, we crossed with no problems and it was actually one of the smoothest times for us. I know it was because we had so many people praying for us and I am so thankful for their prayers.
It takes a little more than three hours to get to Monterrey from the border. The roads and the views are very nice and it is an enjoyable ride. I am glad that I wasn't the one driving because the closer we got to the city the crazier the traffic. It will probably be a whole year before I get to drive because I have no desire to conquer Monterrey traffic. Once we arrived we were welcomed by several members of Beto's family. Sofia immediately took up to the family and charmed everyone with her sweet smile. It wasn't long that she got into her bossy routine and acted like she was one hundred percent Mexican. It took Isaac a few minutes to adjust but he is now playing and talking to everyone. He doesn't care that they don't understand a word that he says. I love watching him and his cousin that is the same age play together with one speaking English and the other Spanish. They play like as if the understand each other. I can't wait for the day that I hear them both playing and speaking Spanish.
Life is so different here and I know it will take time to adjust. I tried to soak in everything last night while walking around the neighborhood. It may take me a few months for Mexico to feel like home, but I am determined to make the best of it and learn from this experience.


Everything stuffed in our van







Hamburgers- $1.50 Burritos- $1.00 Gorditas- $2.00

Beto's Tia selling hamburgers and burritos in front of their house.

The neighborhood where we are living. This is the front of Beto's Abuelito casa.
The view on the way to Monterrey after crossing the border

No comments:

Post a Comment