Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Market

One of my favorite things to do here in Mexico is go to the market. Any day of the way there is a market close by and you can find just about anything you could imagine. The only thing that is somewhat disappointing is the fact they really don't sell authentic Mexican things. I would love it if you could buy Mexican clothing, pottery, or handmade jewelry, but that is not what Mexicans like to buy. What they like to sell is things that come from the States. Most of the vendors go across the Texas border and buy American items, such as: clothing, toys, baby items, costume jewelry, shoes, and many other things. Contrary to popular American thinking most of those items are more expensive here in Mexico. That is why vendors sell American goods.
You can find authentic Mexican food at the market. The smells that flow through the air remind me of all the wonderful smells of the food at the fair back home. There is anything from tacos to churros to fancy fruit concoctions. I personally looked forward to eating a couple of churros.
I can remember the first time I came here with Beto. We had been married about six months and came during the hottest time of the year. We stayed at his grandmother's house and I woke up to a wonderful surprise on a Saturday morning. The market was right outside the window in front of his grandmother's house! This being my first time to Monterrey and everything was so new and exciting it felt like Christmas morning. I woke Beto up and said "Look Beto! The market is here!" He unenthusiastically said "Yes Kandace, it is here every Saturday." Although the market is an everyday occurrence here I still look forward to looking at what every vendor has to sell.
Maybe one day when I grow up I can be a vendor at the market. Hmmmmm... what could I sell?




No comments:

Post a Comment